Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Am I all wet on 911?

Recently posted here I suggested that GPS was the obvious solution to 911 services in an IP world. However, even given my significant exposure to satellite issues I overlooked the obvious - GPS doesn't always work (right now). Weather has an affect as well as things that attenuate such frequencies - buildings and the like.

Given that emergency services are required whether or not its raining outside, GPS has some limitations. Also given that the essence of emergency services is an emergency - its rather important that these things work under all sorts of nasty conditions (rain, floods, earthquakes, things your dog may eat, etc.).

I still like to idea of GPS and do not see a better solution, but must acknowledge that it may not be ready to be branded as THE solution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home